Sunday, May 30, 2010

Enterprises

Welcome to Snowy Hollow's fresh home-grown garden veggies! LR is dipping her toes in the waters of small business. Today's offering is leeks for a dollar a bunch. What a great home schooling opportunity!


Our other new undertaking is raising blue oyster mushrooms (no rock band references please!). A friend had a large maple come down across her road, and another friend had some leftover spawn. Manna from heaven!





Step 1: spread spawn over surface of green log


Step 2: stack on another log and spread more spawn

Step 3: Wrap the whole thing in plastic to keep out other kinds of fungi. Now go do something else for a year while the fungus eats the wood.

1 comment:

  1. I avoid leeks since that experience in the Allegany State Park with you twenty-five years ago. The headache I got nearly killed me and you, if my marshmallow stick had been a little sharper and I'd have thrown it a little harder.

    ReplyDelete